Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What has Joe Dotoli been up to?

Hi everyone,

I have been married 42 years to my wife Fran. We live in Vermont on an island (North Hero) in Lake Champlain. We have 2 daughters, Annie and Julia. Julia is an artist working in Brooklyn. Annie has followed us into the horse world. Annie is also married and has a daughter Nora (3) and a son Carsten(6 months).

I got involved with horses during my high school years, became more involved during college (Stonehill) and turned professional in 1968. I have been very lucky to have ridden and trained many wonderful horses and taught many talented riders, the most famous being 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist Peter Wylde. My wife and I had the great experience of being in Athens, Greece to see the boy we started teaching when he was 10 years old have a gold medal put around his neck. It was a very powerful moment.

I have also been involved in the governance of equestrian sport, serving on many committees as well as the board of directors of the United States Equestrian Federation and the Professional Horseman's Association of America. In 2001 I was awarded the USEF's Distinguished Service Award for contributions to equestrian sport.

Currently I am "semi-retired" although most weeks it doesn't seem that way. I manage a series of horse shows in Tucson AZ for 8 weeks in the winter months, and officiate as a judge at numerous shows in the US and Canada throughout the year.

In 2011 I published my first book, "Wylde Ride" and am currently working on my second. Clear HERE to get a look at the book on amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment